Funding is essential for us to implement our plans. Effective fundraising requires careful planning; effective management of relationships with donors, members and partners; and strong proposal writing skills (see finance management).
However, raising money is just one part of being a financially sustainable organisation. A financially sustainable organisation:
- Has adequate financial systems and is cost-efficient (finance management);
- Has multiple sources of income or means of generating income;
- Has clear strategic direction and regularly reviews organisational plans and financial plans;
- Has a good public profile (see external communications); and
- Has some degree of financial independence (i.e. is able to make its own decisions about how it generates and spends its fund, and does not have to compromise its vision or values to obtain funding).
Need to strengthen your organisation in this area? See our recommended resources.
To learn from the experience of other conservation organisations see our case studies.
Do you need to measure your progress in this area? See our suggested indicators.